17th August 2023 News Headlines
A summary of today's important and breaking news regarding PTI and the country that the mainstream media of Pakistan will never show you.
- Barrister Umair Niazi, after a meeting with Imran Khan, revealed that Imran Khan has conveyed a message: "Even if I have to stay in jail for a thousand years, I am prepared to endure." He further stated, "Sacrifices must be made for freedom, and I am willing to do so."
- Former Prime Minister and Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), Imran Khan, has been unlawfully detained for the past thirteen days, without being provided with basic amenities or granted permission to meet his legal team. Even today, when Imran Khan's lawyers arrived at Attock jail to meet him, the jail superintendent denied full permission to the legal team despite a court order. Eventually, only one lawyer, Barrister Umair Niazi, was allowed to meet Imran Khan.
- Chairman Imran Khan's wife, Bushra Bibi, has submitted a request to the Secretary Home Punjab to provide facilities to Imran Khan according to his former position, including home-cooked meals, access to a personal doctor, and to provide jail class in accordance to the stature of a former Prime Minister. Two days ago, Bushra Bibi met Imran Khan and informed that Imran Khan is being kept without facilities in a small cell with an open flush.
- Chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), Imran Khan's lawyers filed a petition in the Supreme Court today, in which a plea has been made to provide legal facilities to Imran Khan. It requests that in all cases, including those in which bail was denied on the pretext of non-compliance, protective bail should be granted.
- Today in Islamabad High Court, hearing in Chief Justice Aamir Farooq's court was supposed to take place about the transfer of Imran Khan from Attock to Adiala Jail, provision of safe food and other facilities were supposed to take place. However, today Chief Justice Aamir Farooq fell ill again, and the hearing could not take place. Justice Aamir Farooq had also fallen ill during the previous hearing and the Right to Defense case could not be heard. Despite the request from Imran Khan's lawyers, Justice Aamir Farooq is not even transferring the case it to another judge.
- A few days ago, prominent lawyer and member of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Hassan Niazi, was arrested in connection with the events of May 9. Upon his arrest, the police and other law enforcement agencies initially denied their involvement, but today he has been transferred from Quetta to Rawalpindi, where his trial will be conducted in a military court.
- The case regarding the civilian’s trial in military courts is still pending in the Supreme Court of Swat. Until a decision is reached, Hassan Niazi's military trial is a completely unlawful step.
- Former Provincial Assembly Members Sardar Saifuddin Khosa and Sardar Mohiuddin Khosa faced a violent attack by police thugs and unidentified individuals at their residence in DG Khan last night. The sanctity of their home was violated as the assailants forcefully entered, desecrating their privacy and kidnapping Saifuddin Khan Khosa, who is so far still missing. The police thugs engaged in vandalism, looting valuable possessions from the house. Subsequently, when an attempt was made to contact the police to gather information, local authorities denied any involvement in the incident, stating that they had no knowledge of the event.
- In the aftermath of the events of May 9, more than a hundred days have passed with a political crackdown on the country's largest political party. Children, women, mothers, sisters, and elders were not spared to achieve political objectives. Innocent political detainees are being held in jail in conditions worse than terrorists. Court orders are also not been abided. Despite that, the political prisoners and the public remain steadfast in their emotions towards Imran Khan and are strongly connected to him.
- Advocate Salman Shahid, a legal representative, tweeted that 'Today, a meeting of Lahore Bar Association was held, where all lawyers unanimously decided to impose a boycott against Punjab Police's entry into the courts, following their sacrilegious intrusion into the homes of individuals associated with Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf. Lawyers have collectively resolved to halt the entry of Punjab Police into the courts from day after tomorrow and initiate a movement among lawyers across the country.'
- The Former Puppet Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif, known for his expertise in seeking loans, in just 15 months borrowed 18.5 Trillion Rupees. These loans surpass the borrowing of the PTI government over a period of 3.5 years. Despite these loans, the public has not seen any improvement in facilities; however, they have been further burdened with new taxes. These loans have been spent to pay for trips of various ministers, luxuries, and in buying the media.
- Since the IMF agreement, there has been an increase of 19 rupees and 6 paisas in the value of the dollar. Moreover, there is a possibility of further increases. The PDM government had claimed during the vote of no confidence that they would bring the dollar to 100 rupees. However, during their tenure, the dollar reached 340 rupees and all records of inflation were shattered.